Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lexington

Glad to let everyone know that I made it safely to Lexington. God has just blessed me so much on my journey. I started my trip planning to eat a single meal everyday and through many blessings that has not been the case. On Thursday when I left bowling green I was walking along 31-w and a truck stops ahead of me a lady gets out and offers me a coke and five dollars. I turned down the coke because I have had a bad experience with drinking soda while hiking. Then a few miles up the road I another car stops in the far lane sticks a McDonalds bag out the window and says "I just got this at McDonalds and I wanted you to have it." I tried to argue that it was not necessary because I had only planned on eating one meal a day and I had already eaten lunch. In the end I accepted the meal and went on. A mile up the road I was going through Cave City and a man in a truck pulls up beside me and asks me if I need water. My containers happened to be almost empty so I said yes well he happened to own the flea market we were next to and he pulled in and filled me water containers and as he did I told him what I was doing and he said hold on a second I have something else for you. He then went inside and got two loaves of bread and gave them to me he asked me where I was staying and I told him I did not know. So he offered me a place to stay at his flea market. I accepted and I slept there.


The next morning I woke up and I was told to stick around for breakfast I was given an egg and bacon sandwich. So I started off again and one of the first things I do that morning is pass up my turn it takes me a little while to realize that I had done and then I had to backtrack. I got lots of sun and was very crisp by noon. So when I saw a lady sitting in the shade across the way I decided to go talk to her turns out that her name was Stephanie she was in her late 60' and she was hiking to Michigan. (We should all keep her in our prayers). While we were talking a lady stopped and gave us $20. Stephanie insisted that I take the money because she did not need it after much arguing I accepted it. So when I was done talking to Stephanie I decided I needed to hit the road again because I was already behind "my" schedule (I realize now that I need to let the only schedule be God's schedule). So a little ways up the road I see a yard sale so I stopped to see if they had a lightweight long-sleeved shirt so that I could get the sun off my arms. They did and when I went to pay them for it they said to put my money away that this was a gift. So I accepted it and continued on my hike. I came across a similar situation a few miles down the road where I saw a pair of boots at another yard sale (they were too big:( ) so I stopped and looking around I saw a hat that I liked so I picked it up and went to pay for it and again they refused to take my money. (I lost it to the wind the next day). well it was nearing dark and no one had offered me a place to stay yet so I decided to knock on a door and ask if I could camp in someone’s front yard well the first door I knock on agrees to allow me to camp in their yard. Well after I have camp set up I remember that I forgot to ask for water and instead of bothering the same person again I decide to go ask their neighbor for water well not only do they give me water but they also gave me a bag full of fruit.

The next morning I got up and had some more fruit for breakfast. Then I hit the road my phone was dying so when I came across a little general store I stopped in to see if they would let me charge it for a little while. I bought some meat while I was there which she would not allow me to pay full price for. (I ate it for lunch) after I ate lunch I was crossing the green river on my way to Greensburg when a truck stopped and asked where I was going and if I would like a ride. I told him and he gave me a lift then he gave me $5 and told me to get something to eat so I went into the IGA and I bought some groceries. And then I started on the road again not two miles up the road another vehicle pulled up and asked me if I needed anything. So I told him what I was doing and he said well I could take you to Campbellsville so we loaded up my cart in the back of his SUV and he started to take me to Campbellsville. On the way we got to talk and he asked me to have dinner with him and his family. Then he asked me to stay the night. I ended up going to church with him and then he fed me again and drove me to the truck stop at the intersection of 555 and Bluegrass Parkway. He also gave me twenty bucks and his information so that I could stay in touch with him and his family. That evening I made it to the intersection of 555 and 62 and then I again stopped and asked for a place to stay and was granted permission to camp by the first person I asked. the next morning I started and not but a mile or two down the road an elderly man stopped and asked if I wanted a ride and he took me to Versailles which is just 15 miles from Lexington. So I made it into Lexington by Monday evening. Praise be unto God.

2 comments:

  1. God is so good!! He has already proven one of His promises, He shall suppley all of are needs. I know He will continue to use this amazing journey and you to touch and inspire hundreds of people,even those who are following your hike across america. Thank you Willie for being obiedent and having endless faith in God. I look forward to hearing more stories as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a God-filled experience to me! I hope you're enjoying it :D Just reading this makes me smile. God bless you Willie!

    ReplyDelete